Law Offices Of Esteban L. Valenzuela & Associates in Santa Maria, California, represents families who have lost loved ones in wrongful death or workplace accidents, as well as in cases involving defective products.
Wrongful Death vs. Personal Injury
In a personal injury lawsuit, the plaintiff is the individual who suffered an injury. However, in a wrongful death case, the plaintiff is a surviving family member who has lost a loved one. Under California law, possible plaintiffs in a wrongful death suit may include:
• Surviving Spouses
• Minors & Dependents
• Domestic Partners
• Heirs by Intestate Succession If No Other Relatives Survive
Filing a Lawsuit
File an action for wrongful death as soon as possible because the court provides the power to subpoena and preserve evidence that would otherwise be lost. When we take on your case, we begin an immediate investigation to preserve valuable evidence, secure eyewitness testimony, and identify the proper defendants.
Damages You May Recover
Damages suffered by the injured victim before death may only be recovered by a representative of the deceased's estate in a "survival action". Recoverable damages in a wrongful death claim encompass both economic and non-economic damages, including:
• Funeral & Burial Expenses
• Financial Support the Deceased Would Have Contributed to the Survivor
• Loss of Gifts or Benefits the Heir Would Have Received from the Deceased
• Reasonable Value of Household Services the Deceased Would Have Provided
• Loss of the Deceased's Love, Companionship, Comfort, Care, Assistance, Protection, Affection, Moral Support, & Guidance
Workers' compensation laws guarantee that employers provide financial assistance and medical benefits to employees who have been injured on the job due to an accident or who suffer from a work-related illness.
Workers' Compensation & Insurance Claims
All you need to prove in receiving proper workers' compensation and insurance claims is that the injury was work-related. Once you make a claim and prove its validity, the employer or employer's insurer pays your benefits according to statutory guidelines. Typical benefits you may be entitled to include:
• Medical Care
• Temporary or Permanent Disability Benefits
• Vocational Rehabilitation Services
Contact us now in Santa Maria, California, for assistance in filing a valid wrongful death case.